The Stanley Kunitz Memorial Prize honors the late Stanley Kunitz’s dedication to mentoring poets. The winning poem will appear on the feature page of the September/October issue of The American Poetry Review and the poet will receive a prize of $1,000. All entrants will receive a copy of the magazine. Poets may submit one to three poems per entry (totaling no more than three pages) with a $15 entry fee by May 15, 2023. No limit on number of entries per poet. Previous winners of the Kunitz Prize include Ocean Vuong, Alex Dimitrov, Nicole Sealey, Jane Wong, Elly Bookman, Jared Harel, Katie Peterson, Ruth Madievsky, Iris McCloughan, Joy Priest, Maggie Queeney, Casey Thayer, and Susan Nguyen.
1. Poets must be under 40 years of age.
2. All entries must be previously unpublished poems.
3. Multiple entries are acceptable; however each entry must be accompanied by a reading fee.
4. Entry fee covers up to three poems, totaling no more than three pages.
5. Contest entries must be received on or before May 15, 2023.
6. Contest results will be announced by July 1, 2023.
Send submissions to:
The American Poetry Review
Stanley Kunitz Memorial Prize
1906 Rittenhouse Square
Philadelphia, PA 19103